Anyone who lives, works, attends school, or owns property in Hampstead may apply for a free library card. Children may get their own card, with their parent's permission, as soon as they can write their first and last name.
Proof of residency/employment and a registration card (signed by a parent or guardian if the applicant is 4th grade or below) are required.
Non-residents may purchase a 1-year library card. Contact the library for further details.
Please bring your library card with you when you come to check out materials.
|DVD - feature films & children’s||1 week|
|DVD - TV shows||2 weeks|
|Music CDs||2 weeks|
|Museum Passes||3 days|
|Tools & Toys (cake pans, telescope,
projector, snow shoes, CD player, etc)
|Varies by item.
See borrowing information
when checking out.
If you have items overdue and are not sure how to proceed or have difficulty paying for lost materials, please call the Library.
The Hampstead Public Library has gone fine-free! It has officially become a fine-free institution, eliminating late fees for overdue materials. HPL joins a growing number of libraries across the nation who are removing financial barriers to service in an effort to make the library accessible to more residents. Our main concern is getting materials back so that other patrons can use them. We don’t want the threat of fines to discourage people from visiting and borrowing books and other items. Now, the only time a fine would be assessed is if an item is lost or unreturned. Patrons will continue to be responsible for replacement costs.
If you have access to your library account click HERE to log in, go to the Fines tab and click on Pay Now. (Check out with Paypal or as a guest. A Paypal account is NOT required).
If you don't have access to your library account, click HERE to pay by credit card. You will need to manually enter the amount you want to pay.
- You can pay in person with cash, check or credit card.
After you pay your replacement costs online, please contact the library at email@example.com to report them paid and we will make sure your account is correctly credited.
Most items may be renewed twice for a total of 6 weeks, if there are no Reserves/Holds for that item. Adult books and DVDs still considered *New* may not be automatically be renewed. Please call the Library if you need assistance with renewals.
- Call or email the Circulation Desk; 603-329-6411 or circulation@hampsteadLibrary.org
- Reply to a Due Tomorrow email, and be sure to include your name in the response.
- Log into your account in our catalog
- You can set up a PIN to access your account from your own computer/device. A librarian at the Main Desk can help you set one up.
Reserves and Holds
A hold (aka. reserve) may be placed on any item regardless of its availability status.
There are two ways to reserve an item:
- Use the online catalog. Sign into your account. Find the item you want to borrow. Use the Reserve button, and then confirm that you want to reserve the item. For more detailed directions, a short tutorial video is available on the Library’s YouTube page (see link below.)
- If you cannot reserve items online, call the Library during its business hours and ask a librarian to reserve items for you.
More about reserves:
- If an item you reserve is in the Library, it will take staff time to get it ready for you.
- If the item is checked-out to someone else, you will go on the reserve list. There may be others on the list before you.
- You will be notified by email or phone when your reserve is available for you to pickup (see Curbside Pickup information.)
- Expired card, fines, or overdue books may prohibit you from placing holds using the online catalog. In that case, please contact the Library for assistance.
Watch this short video tutorial on How to Reserve an Item in our online catalog.
The Hampstead Public Library belongs to NHAIS (New Hampshire Automated Information System), the system for the state of New Hampshire, which provides residents rapid access to library and informational resources through a coordinated statewide information network.
Materials not owned by the Hampstead Public Library may often be borrowed from other libraries in New Hampshire. See the NHAIS InterLibrary Loan System for items available through InterLibrary loan.
Patrons may have up to 5 InterLibrary Loan requests in this system at one time. You can login to NHAIS with your Hampstead Public Library card number and PIN to place requests, or by speaking with a librarian. If you need more than 5 InterLibrary Loan books, please contact the Library.
|Black & White printing||Cost|
|Letter size (8.5x11)||10 cents per page||double sided counts as 2 pages|
|Legal or Ledger size||20 cents per page||double sided counts as 2 pages|
|Letter size (8.5x11)||50 cents per page||double sided counts as 2 pages|
|Legal or Ledger size||$1.00 per page||double sided counts as 2 pages|
|Outgoing fax||$2.00||flat rate for any page count|
|Incoming fax||10 cents per page|
If a patron wishes to receive a fax at the Library, they must notify the Library in advance. Incoming faxes must clearly state the intended recipient’s name, and contact information is also advisable. Incoming faxes are held at the front desk for pickup. Any fax not retrieved within one week will be shredded.
To pay for printing or faxing by credit card click HERE
CURBSIDE DOCUMENT SERVICES During COVID-19 Service Changes
The library is open for walk-in services. If you wish to still use curbside services, call 603-329-6411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request document services and discuss the best option for your needs.
Copy, fax, or scan:
- Patrons can call from parking lot and ask a librarian to make quick copies, fax, or scan for them,
- If you are having a fax sent to the Library for you to pick up, the Library’s fax number is 603-329-6036.
- Payment for document services can be left on the outside table. Cash is preferred, check or charge will be accepted if over $5. To pay online with a credit card, go to our Online Payment Page. Specify your name and what you’re paying for in the notes.
Print: To send file(s) for printing, email files to Library staff, following these instructions:
- Create a new email message to circulation@hampsteadLibrary.org.
- Use subject line “Print order” and attach document to email.
- Include instructions about how many copies you wish, color or black ink only, when you would like to pick up, etc.) then send.
- A Library staff member will delete any files right after printing.
WiFi and Internet Access
WiFi (Wireless Internet Access)
Free Wireless access is available without a password. It can also be used in the parking lot. The best signal is found in the left parking spaces in front of the windows of the Library. Please do NOT block the traffic flow for Curbside Pickup services.
Copies of the Wireless Internet Access Policy are available upon request.
Limited in-person computer use is available.
Library cardholders may borrow a laptop to use on the Library property for a limited period of time. We recommend you call ahead if you wish to use this service, and find out details about the procedure. You will be required to leave your drivers license with the staff and sign a liability form, before you are given the laptop.
The Hampstead Public Library is using a phased approach for increase of services during the COVID-19 pandemic. Thank you for your patience as we navigate this process.
The library is fully open. Curbside will continue to be offered if patrons prefer that method to get materials.
- Place holds online by logging into your account on www.HampsteadLibrary.org; search, browse and make your reservations with the catalog. If you are not able to place holds online or need help establishing a login, email circulation@HampsteadLibrary.org or call 603-329-6411.
- When your holds are ready, you will receive an email or phone notification from the Library.
- Call the Library when you are in the parking lot. If you don’t have a cell phone, please call before you leave the house.
- When picking up items, you may also return any items you have out. Return to the Book Slot in the wall to the left of the Library’s front doors. The slot is open for returns 24/7.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
How will I pick up my holds?
After you call to say you are in the parking lot, the Library staff will bring your items out to you. Items will already be checked out to you – so feel free to take your items and go!
What if I have a physical disability or other reason that I cannot get out of my car?
Call 603-329-6411 and notify the staff, and you will be given further instructions.
How can I find out if my holds are ready?
We ask that you wait until the Library has contacted you (email or phone call) to let you know your items are ready.
Can I request additional items after I have been notified that my items are ready?
Yes. You can reserve additional items; however, they may not be ready for several hours.
Can I request items from other libraries?
Yes. The InterLibrary Loan (ILL) system is available. Availability of this service is subject to change.
I don’t have a Library card! Can I use this service?
You will need a card. Please see instructions on signing up for a Library card or email circulation@HampsteadLibrary.org.
What safety precautions is the Library taking?
The Library has taken the following steps throughout the pandemic:
- Obtained adequate stores of disinfectant and hand sanitizer, as well as protective gear for staff.
- Frequent cleaning of surfaces in the building, including front door handles.
- Number of visitors in the building at one time is limited, but is now fully open.
- Building ventilation was reviewed and upgraded where possible (includes upgrading air filters) to the level recommended by the CDC.
Can I still donate books?
Yes. Please call first and let staff know what you wish to donate, the quantity of books, and when you wish to drop off. Please do NOT leave donations outside of the Library building. See also: Donations Information
How do I talk to someone at the Library if I have a question?
Call 603-329-6411. If someone is not in the building when you call, please leave a message. You can also email circulation@HampsteadLibrary.org.
How long will Curbside Pickup service be offered?
Until further notice, even when the library opens to walk-in services. Since our service levels are determined based on a number of public health factors, we do not know when our services, or our hours, will change. Please check our website www.HampsteadLibrary.org for updates.
Rest assured that Library staff are continually assessing our service plans to be sure we are serving our community! Let us know how we can help.